Video: Breaking Good Habits—Front-Trends, 2012

Here is the video from my talk Breaking Good Habits which I gave in April of this year at Front-Trends in Warsaw, Poland. My voice sounds unusually deep and you can see my boxer shorts for the first 25 minutes but it seems okay; I was absolutely terrified but I’m pleased my nerves didn’t show through too much!

On Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/44773888

My Front-Trends writeup.

By Harry Roberts on Thursday, July 19th, 2012 in Speaking. Tags: , , | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to ‘Video: Breaking Good Habits—Front-Trends, 2012’

1. jitendra vyas said on 20 July, 2012 at 3:36 am

I have seen this video. I’m agree on not using ID but Back-end Developer in my don’t like the OCSSS approach because they don’t want to add or remove clasess to html elements dynamically. They want from me to do everything in CSS by using location based css.

2. Ben said on 20 July, 2012 at 8:21 am

Brilliant Harry, Always been very impressed with your enthuiasm around CSS.

I advise you try and speak at DIBI next year, you would be a brilliant addition and it would be good to see someone who is as focused as yourself on CSS.

3. AucT said on 21 July, 2012 at 12:34 pm

great examples of why you dont need id (espesially with sidebar). Im going definitely use only classes.

Im beginner but I found it not necessary to use ul for gorizontal navigation and instead you can use

<a>...</a>
    <a>...</a>

dunno if that’s right

4. AucT said on 21 July, 2012 at 12:36 pm

sry its again me. my exaple is not showing – it was about using just a div or nav and a elements instead of ul li a

5. Brad said on 21 July, 2012 at 5:47 pm

@jitendra vyas

I know exactly how you feel here. The developers at my current job do not understand anything about CSS, nor do they want to. They think it is magic and i can just ‘apply’ anything anywhere.

This video is great, I just wanted to know more about how you abstract the grid layer? Do you have different parts to your grid like .big-box, .med-box, .small-box? or something of the like?

Thanks

6. Leban Hyde said on 23 July, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Great job, Harry!

I am there with you on OOCSS/SMACSS. I recently switched to this approach and haven’t look back. Dev times are a snap and, after getting the code base established, rarely do I have to create additional classes.

Thank you for making the statement that class names are for presentation, which is exactly what CSS is—presentation!

Hope to see more videos like this one.

Cheers!

7. Glen Wheeler said on 26 July, 2012 at 8:07 pm

WOW, very very impressed with the video mate. Absolutely great stuff.

Taken a lot away from this, have sat down and taken away some notes so will review them over this weekend.

Thanks again and total respect to you getting up and doing that talk.

8. Nahuel Sotelo said on 27 July, 2012 at 11:38 am

Love the presentation. I’m looking to implement OOCSS in a project I’m working right now. Hope it works.. :)

Just a minor correction about one of your slides, in case you’re planning to reuse them. In “The media object” slide you ommited the img container with the .img class and applied class=”img” directly to the img element. So, the display:block on your last line should be inside .img declaration.

9. Harry Roberts said on 27 July, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Nahuel: The float gives the image implied block so applying both is redundant. You only need the display declaration if you aren’t explicitly floating that element.