Introducing inuit.css

I’ve just put a new project live—inuit.css. inuit.css is a sensible, production-ready and actually useful CSS framework. It doesn’t do much styling, but does a lot of nifty, functional things that most people should find useful.

inuit.css logo

The framework aims to tackle real problems and remove the boring, repetitive jobs that development sometimes brings. Follow @inuitcss for update info and release news, as well as being able to suggest new features and report bugs.

Massive thanks to Bryan James for the amazing logo and illustration work. Follow him on Twitter—he’s one of the best designers I’ve ever met.

By Harry Roberts on Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 in Web Development, inuit.css. Tags: | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to ‘Introducing inuit.css’

1. Per said on 21 April, 2011 at 6:24 am

Great stuff, well done!
    Maybe you could put it on GitHub to make easier to follow and/or contribute to?

2. Martin Bean said on 21 April, 2011 at 9:19 am

Great stuff. It’s a bit too late in the day as I’ve literally only just put myself a boilerplate style sheet together with similar styles due to putting my CMS under source control, but I’d definitely recommend this to any one look for a boilerplate style sheet for starting new projects.

3. David Bushell said on 21 April, 2011 at 9:28 am

Looking sharp Harry! Respect the pragmatic approach to baseline grids.

4. Jatin said on 24 April, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Harry, you are right. ‘inuit.css’ actually is useful css framework.

After reading your article, I went to the website, and downloaded the zip file to see what it contents and how it can be helpful to me. I was surprised to see that it can do wonders to me, and help me with my designs.

Thank You Harry.

P.S. don’t stop development of ‘inuit.css’ in future, I really liked it, and even have shared with my friends.

5. Russ Weakley said on 25 April, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Hi there,

Love the logo!

After a brief look through the framework, there are a lot of nice things there – well done!

One thing that surprised me though, was the placement of the @charset “UTF-8″ which appears on line 36.

This at-rule is supposed to be the first line inside any CSS file.

As the relevant W3C page states:

“Only one @charset rule may appear in an external style sheet and it must appear at the very start of the document. It must not be preceded by any characters, not even comments.”

I have seen older versions of Safari literally choke and not display any CSS at all as this rule was not placed at the very top of the CSS file.

Just thought you might like to know… :)

Thanks for all the work on a great resource.

6. Andrew Staffell said on 2 May, 2011 at 11:53 am

“I won’t beat about the bush, seeing the HTML5 Boilerplate makes me frustrated [...] Look at all that code. 681 lines. Six hundred and eighty-one. [...] That’s not a starting point, that’s a finished product and then some.” (http://goo.gl/tDHMu)

Ring a bell?

I won’t beat about the bush, seeing inuit.css (953 lines! NINE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY THREE LINES!) makes me frustrated.

Not because I have anything against good-quality code or well-developed frameworks, but because it seems perhaps a touch hypocritical after your cheap, attention-seeking attack on HTML5 Boilerplate just a few months ago.

Any comment?

7. Ben Demaree said on 8 May, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Harry: fantastic framework; I’ve started playing with it today and I very much enjoy it. I could use a little more documentation or direction on how you’ve tweaked 960gs, but overall, I’ve learned a lot just looking at the thing.

Andrew: I’m looking at your cheap, attention-seeking attack on one man’s effort to make a non-intrusive CSS framework and wondering why you’re so bitter. But if you really want an answer, I’d direct you to a few things: CSS framework =/= HTML5 framework, and there are 145 lines of CSS in HTML5BP (from the “stripped-down” version, i.e., no documentation, unlike inuit.css) alone.

And, though it really is apples to oranges, HTML5BP is 1.8M vs. inuit.css at 204K.

Again, Harry, thanks for this lovely tool. I look forward to using it.

8. Adam Clark said on 19 October, 2011 at 11:04 am

I like this idea…

“Classes of .alpha, .beta, .gamma, .delta, .epsilon and .zeta correspond to headings h1–6. This means that we have a semantic hierarchy and visual hierarchy that can be combined in two strands. If something is semantically a h3 but visually is a h2 your markup would be . Using abstracted classnames makes them less presentational and more about levels of importance.”

…but, why not simply call the classes “.h1, .h2, .h3…” and so on. “.alpha”, “.gamma”, “epsilon” or whatever seem a bit unrelatable. So you can have:

I’m a h4 but I look like a h2!.